Friday, August 6, 2010

Dear Everleigh (2 Months!)



Dear Everleigh,

Today you are two months old. And colicky. They say colic is defined as unexplained crying that lasts more than two hours. I define it as not being able to sooth my baby enough when she is upset. Upset about being out in the world. Upset about too much stimuli. Upset about digestion. We really don't know.

This month I had to return to work and leave you at home with Daddy and it's been bumpy. You've been nursing, but you don't like bottles--they're just not the real thing. And I don't blame you.

To try and make you feel better, Daddy and I hold you most of the time you're awake. We bounce you up and down lightly, or sway side to side. We give you warm baths with Mama. We swaddle you and sing you little songs we write off the cuff to try and make you happy. Sometimes we take you out on the porch and let you feel the sun on your face. You seem to like this best of all. When we're really desperate, we run the vacuum, because you like the hum it makes.

And you cry and cry and kick your legs out in pain? frustration? gassiness? And we just keep on loving you.

This month has been the hardest yet. I love you so much and I feel so lucky to be your Mom. It's been so sad leaving you each morning to go to my job, especially knowing you're home crying and missing me. But when I get home, I cannot wait to scoop you into my arms, nurse you and hug you and kiss you and breathe you in.

I love you, Ev-Wev.

Mommy

No comments: