Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers' Day, Scott!



Photo by Image Market Photography




For those of you who don't know me, my husband Scott is currently a stay at home dad/artist/college student. That's a lot of slashes, and many times the stay at home dad role takes up waaaaayyyy more time and energy than the last two, leaving little time for his career, studies, and everything else. I wanted to take some time to recognize him on this day.

Dear Scott,

You've  been a dad for almost 19 years already. It was one of the things I always loved about you. Early in our relationship, you made it clear that Tory was the most important thing in your life. After seeing you interact with her, I thought, "this is the type of father I want for my children". 

Every day, you give of yourself. You entertain Ev while I get ready for work, and then you feed her breakfast while I run out the door. You two play together, read book after book, talk to each other, go on walks. You are always engaged, always present. 

When people make you feel uncomfortable about your nontraditional role, you shake it off. You know you're building a foundation with our daughter that will last a lifetime.

I know it's tough sometimes, and I know every hour you spend with Ev is an hour you could have spent painting. But I thank you for being such a wonderful stay at home father, even if it wasn't how you imagined spending your forties. Every time I see the way she looks at you, I fall in love with you a little more.

Happy Father's Day.

E


No comments: