Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Harajuku Love

If you know me, you know that I absolutely love vintage. My dream closet would be comprised of many wonderful stockings and vintage frocks and little hats and lacy tops and colorful shoes--much like my girl-hero, Emily Martin (check out her sweet little style blog Some Girls Wander).

And if you know me, you also know that most of the time in my day to day, I dress in black slacks with tops I don't love, or simple dresses paired with sweaters. Scott calls them my "old lady professor" outfits. The truth is, in college, I fell in LOVE with bold style, and would often experiment with my wardrobe on campus. No PJ pants for this co-ed. No way. I was wearing vintage dresses, see-through slips layered over colorful patterned skirts, hot pink tights, heels, heels, heels, etc. While my style wasn't always wild, it was always fun and little experimental. Sometimes I bought something simply because it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen, and I knew I had to have it. During this time, I also got into Japanese street fashion when I discovered the book, Fruits.





And now, my little Ev can wear some fun Japanese street fashion too ;) with the release of Gwen Stefani's Harajuku for Target line for toddlers. These adorable dresses and oh-so-stylish t's make me wish I could fit them, and also nudge me to get a little wacky with my clothes, mama-style. I'm working on whittling the weight down, and once I'm "vintage-sized" again, I plan to get a little more fun and playful with my everyday attire. After all, why not?

No comments: