Friday, October 21, 2011

Busy Bees

I'm not going to lie--I've been too overwhelmingly busy to be a good blogger lately. Please forgive me :)

Here are some random things I've been doing and/or thinking about:

--Christmas shopping. I'm a procrastinator by nature, and have spent many a Christmas Eve frantically shopping with all the angry old ladies and husband, or gotten to December 1st and thought, "how am I supposed to afford Christmas this year?". So I decided to do it right this time and have been buying little items with just about every pay check so I will be more prepared this year :) I'll give a sneak peek of some of Ev's gifts soon!

--Moving. UGGGGHHHH. Can I just say for the record that I hate hate hate hate hate moving? Especially in the dead of a Missouri winter? And yet, here we find ourselves. For the past 2 years we've lived in an adorable and brand new townhouse in the city with a sweet view of downtown. In exchange for reduced rent, Scott has been doing all the maintenance on the units. But we just found out the developers are going a different direction with management, and we can basically move when our lease is up January 1st or stay and pay like 40% more a month in rent. Yuck. So we've been house/apartment/townhouse shopping for cute rentals that fit in our budget and keep us close- to/in the city. This is not easy. We've been spoiled by our adorable 2 bedroom 2 1/2 bath space with a brand new kitchen. Everything looks painfully small or icky or just downright depressing. But it's not the time for us to buy with Scott still in school--plus we have plans of moving in the next few years and getting the heck out of MO...we're thinking maybe Austin? Time shall tell. Anyways, so I've been obsessively looking for rentals and touring places and trying to picture us there and I'm about worn slick. If anyone has good ideas, let me know :)

--Halloween. Ev is a bumble bee this year, and has the cutest little costume! I'm so excited about letting her run around and see all the "babies" (her name for all children under the age of 12) in their costumes. Isn't it funny how kids really make holidays magical again? I'm already excited about cooling my awesomely awesome Thanksgiving turkey and decorating for Christmas. Except that we might have everything boxed up by then. Sigh. We shall see.

--Work-a-thon. My job ebbs and flows, and lately I've been pretty overwhelmingly busy. Which is good, but stressful. I've sat in on so many meetings in the past month, I feel like I could run a meeting in my sleep! Speaking of which...

--Sleeping. Ev has magically slipped into the realm of "sleeping through the night" now after almost 17 months of constant waking. It's now the norm for her to sleep from 9-midnight and the midnight to 5AM. Sometimes 9-5. The bags under my eyes may be permanent though...

--Reading. I've been taking some time most nights after Ev's asleep to read FOR FUN again, which I've dearly missed. My first book? The Woman Destroyed by Simone de Beauvoir. Awesome. But also pretty devastating. I must really love tragedy.

Well folks, that's about it. I've been really busy but also felt a sort of personal awakening...like I'm blowing the dust off some old brain cells and reengaging in the intellectual world again, which has been nice. Sorry for neglecting the blog. It's not you, it's me:) More soon, I promise!

E

1 comment:

GoodnessMeGoddess said...

You should totally come check out Eugene before deciding on Austin...just sayin' ;)