Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dear Everleigh (16 Months!)


Oh Everleigh, Everleigh. I just have to shake my head and laugh as I write this, because your personality just gets bigger and bigger each month, and this month you've continued to establish yourself as a real character.

This month felt a little more settled, as we all adjusted to the shedule shift that took place when Daddy when back to school. What it meant for you? Essentially a little less one-on-one time with Daddy, a LOT more one-on-one time with Mommy, mixed in with some additional hang time with Grandpa ("Pappa") and one day a week at your daycare (which you lovingly call "schoo!"). At first, you were excited about school and playing with all new toys. Then you figured out it meant you wouldn't see Mommy all day (til 3), and cried and cried when I dropped you off, which made me sad.

Now we've got it down pat, and on your school day you get all excited. You even learned to kind-of say your teacher's name (Fkadu), which is further evidence to me that you are a genius. You and I wrote a song to sing in the car on the way to school and it goes like this, "school, school, school--school, school, school. I'm gonna have adventures there. School, school, school--school, school, school. And see my friends and teacher there." It's brilliant ;) and you love it.

Here's what else you've been up to this month:

Gobbity Gobbity--your name for Yo Gabba Gabba, which you love. You mostly love the songs and watching the kids dance, and sometimes you try to dance with them or walk up to the TV and kiss the "babies" (your new name for all kids under the age of 10).

Peeeeaaasse?--You learned to ask "please" when you want something, and you quickly learned that saying "please" really increases your odds of getting what you asked for. You can also say "Thank you", which is equally heart-warming.

Eyeth Eyeth Baby--girlfriend, if you love one thing right now in this world, it is ICE. After stumbling on it in a glass of Mommy's water, you became hooked. Now it seems to be all you think about. You request it by name, and even though your "c" sound is a little lispy, it's adorable. "eyeth? eyeth? Peeeeaas?" you ask. And I typically give in and give you some because it's absolutely precious.

Spinning--you've been really into spinning lately. Sometimes you'll spin around and around, and Daddy will count as you go. Your highest spin count in a row is 10.





New words--this month you really blossomed by regularly using words like "awesome", "alright!", and "let's GO!" I hate to say it, but my high school and college cheerleading days must be coming through in my parenting style based on the words you've selected :)

Big Girl--this month you started going down slides by yourself at the park. And I don't just mean the baby slides. I mean even the big, tall scary tube slides. You are very cautious, which makes me proud. but you like to go down by yourself, and every time you do, I tell you what a big girl you are and give you a high five.

Mommy's Girl--the more we get to know your personality, the more Daddy keeps saying you are so much like me. At first I didn't see it as much, but after he pointed it out, I started to see how you are so determined and goal-driven, and unwilling to give up. I think these are all great qualities, and hope to point you in the right direction so they don't create problems for you later on. Oh, and you're also beautiful and smart and cool as heck, which I have to go ahead and pat myself on the back for too (haha).

Walks and Rides--I try to take you on a walk every day (while the Missouri weather holds up). You think it's so neat to see all the squirrles and birds and leaves. On our walks, you always want to hold something in your hand--a rock you found, a leaf, an acorn. At some point in the walk you typically try to eat this object too, so I have to watch, but it makes you so happy to have a little gem from nature, I just have to smile. Also, we scored this free kid caddy seat thing that attaches to bikes to pull little ones. We need a new hitch for it still, but for now, you love to sit in the seat and have one of us pull you around in the driveway. Now when we get close to home from running errands or whatever, you'll say, "ride? ride? RIDE? Peeeeaaaase?"

Laughing Babies--it's no secret that you're not a big laugher. At first this made me a little sad....like, "why isn't little everleigh happier and more lighthearted?" But then it was pointed out to me that although I tend to have a sunny disposition, I don't really laugh out loud much either (unless I'm watching Conan, Bored to Death, or Larry David in action). I'm trying to fix this and get a little more laugter going on in front of you so you know it's okay to cut loose with a belly laugh whenever you want. Last night, we watched the YouTube clips of the roller skating Evion babies, and a clip of a baby laughing hysterically to his dad ripping up paper. You got way into it and laughed like you've never laughed before. Note to self--think if funnier things to do for Everleigh, like ripping up paper.

So that's your world right now, little lady. And as always, things will change. We have a move coming up in December or January, and between now and then we have all kinds of Fall adventures like pumpkin patches, Halloween, Christmas shopping, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. Since you were just a little thing last year, I'm so excited that this year you'll know what's happening and you can get excited about the holidays!

I feel so lucky to be your Mommy, and I'm humbled daily by your love.

Love always,

Momma

2 comments:

amira said...

Awh, happy 16th month!

I'm sure you get this a lot, but she is a spittin' image of you! Exactly, exactly.

Erika said...

haha. thanks! Actually no one really ever says that. They always say how much she looks like Scott. But it's nice to hear once in awhile :) Point for me!